Welcome to the Florida Department of Health in Lee County
Department of Health in Lee County
Mission: To protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.
Vision: To be the Healthiest State in the Nation
Who are we?
The Department of Health in Lee County is the collective effort of over 200 dedicated employees working to assure the health and safety of the more than 550,000 residents and 1.7 million annual visitors to one Florida’s most beautiful counties.
A joint venture between the State of Florida and the Lee County Board of County Commissioners, the Department of Health works in partnership with other health care providers, contractors, law enforcement and social service providers in an integrated and coordinated effort, with the goal of maximizing resources.
What do we do?
Provide services to every individual living in our county, starting at birth with the issuance of a birth certificate. Our services continue through the life span…
- Healthy Start, WIC, and immunization programs for newborns and toddlers
- Inspections of child day care facilities, schools, and school health programs to protect our children as they embark on their education
- Investigations into food-borne outbreaks and other disease outbreaks stop the spread of diseases to children and adults
- Environmental Health and Environmental Engineering programs ensure safe drinking water and proper waste disposal
- Sexually transmitted disease programs, HIV prevention and family planning education the young adult to the dangers of unprotected sexual activity
- Tobacco prevention and wellness programs provide the information and motivation that we all need to adopt a healthy life style
- Providing for primary care through contract with our partner Family Health Centers of Southwest Florida, and family planning needs at our clinics
- Healthy Start and WIC programs return as young adults begin their families
Our final service to each and every resident of Lee County is to issue the individual’s death certificate.
Public health touches everyone directly or indirectly. We are proud of our service to the community and our many accomplishments.