Public Health Sanitary Nuisances
Our office investigates complaints regarding nuisances as defined in Florida Statute 386.041. A nuisance injurious to health is generally defined as:
- Untreated or improperly treated human waste, garbage, offal, dead animals, or dangerous waste materials from manufacturing processes, air pollutants, gasses, and noisome odors which are harmful to human or animal life.
- Improperly built or maintained septic tanks, water closets, or privies.
- Keeping diseased animals dangerous to human health.
- Unclean or filthy places where animals are slaughtered.
- Any condition capable of breeding flies, mosquitoes, or other arthropods capable of transmitting diseases to humans.
- Any act or condition which may cause disease.
For other sanitary issues, please see the menu on the left.
Complaints that are within our jurisdiction when brought to the attention of the Health Department in Lee County , are recorded and investigated. When the complaint involves a sanitary nuisance or a potential health hazard to the public, follow-up action is carried out.
In the event that the complaint does not come under the jurisdiction of this department, we will do our best to find the responsible authority or agency.When a sanitary nuisance is found to exist, a notice to abate the nuisance is issued giving a reasonable time for correction, based on the severity of the condition. If correction is not completed, legal action is taken. Failure to comply is a second degree misdemeanor.
You can submit a complaint about one of the issues above online or call 239-690-2100.